Monday, July 9, 2007

Two different worlds

"Hey, I gotta go because G is calling me," she tells me late at night.
"Ok." Who am I to argue about siblings talking into the night.
10 minutes pass before I get a call back.

"So, my mom fell down the stairs and can't remember anything." The tone is unsurprised, unworried, almost uninterested. With anyone else, I would think this was a joke and start to laugh, but I had already learned that lesson the hard way. Apparently laughing does not mix with relatives and injuries, no matter how ludicrous the situation or even the presentation of the situation. So instead I meet the comment with a mixture of concern and utter seriousness.

"Oh my god, L, is she alright?"
"I don't know." Once again, the lack of tone throws me off. Is this a regular occurence? Is L just in shock? Am I on candid cellular? Where is the camera?

"That sounds really serious. Did someone take her to the hospital?"
"Yeah, G and Dad are with her there now."
"Are you going to go?"
"I don't know." She answers in the same way as if I had asked, "Are you going to go to the beach with C?" At this point I want to scream, "GO SEE YOUR MOM IN THE HOSPITAL!!!" but I didn't. In fact I think I was just silent as the gears churned, trying to make sense of the disjointed inputs.

"G says he will call when he knows more," she says after a moment.
"Ok, well keep me posted. If you need to talk, just call. I don't care what time it is. I am here if you need me." And as I said that I realized part of the problem. I was here, and not there, where she really needed me. Hopefully things will be easier when we are with reach of one another.

She didn't call. Does this mean that everything is ok? Will I be in trouble next time we talk for not being there when she needed me? Are things so serious that she is shutting down and this is all she can manage to do/say? Is she still planning on coming down?

I feel like the butt of a cruel joke.

No comments: