Wednesday, September 5, 2007

Office Politics

I have never been one to handle office politics well. I am generally a bull in a china shop when it comes to political manuevering. However, I am also very nice; I smile to everyone who walks by me. I don't think I am racist, bigotted or otherwise biased against people. I generally get along with everyone I work with. Which is why I was so surprised by what happened today.

Truthfully, I don't even know what happened. All I know is that a co-worker (who initially was warning me of the office politics) took me outside and told me how he had to go up to bat for me in a meeting. Apparently the big boss of the division was all fired up about something I was doing. Someone had complained to him. I don't know who. I don't even know what they were complaining about. Anyways, he was mad about something I apparently either had or had not done.

So now, I am supposed to fix this... problem. I don't know how to fix it because I don't even know what I did. What I do know is that my co-worker and my supervisor told the boss that I was a good worker and they were very happy with the work I was doing. GREAT! My supervisor told me to keep doing what I was doing, because he was happy with my work, while my co-worker told me to keep my head down and my nose to the grindstone. GREAT! So this afternoon, I worked hard at making sure that all projects that people needed were finished up. I worked late on a database that a co-worker and I have been mulling over. Granted I have had it a while, and it has not been worked on much lately, but I didn't think anyone was unhappy with the progress. Oh well! I can get that done and over with and be on to the next project soon enough.

A couple more weeks and I will be out working on the water again. Out of the office and away from people who will throw you under a bus for being nice.

1 comment:

pinkstilletos said...

I would assume that if Steve & Andy went to bat for you then they both know what the "problem" is. I guess my suggestion would be to take Steve to lunch tomorrow and say you want to be the best employee and you're getting mixed messages. You don't neccessarily have to know who complained but you would like to know what the complaint was so that you can correct the issue (if you can)and move forward.

But that's just my opinion.

You are great regardless of office politics. It was that same smile, good humor and ability to get along with others that made me fall in love with you.